Polish Your Purity
From Help for Shepherds
|Polish Your Purity|
We need God to seek out where we have compromised our purity.
How to Get There
- Pergamum had faught temptation in the big things. They were living where Satan dwelled and they were resisting joining in.
- Being in a situation like that, the probably felt alone, with constant pressures to join in the worship of other gods, and the kept the faith.
- But like many of us, they were letting in the little things, the minor compromises of faith, life, and doctrine.
- Those little slips can be far more damaging to our lives and our purity with God than the big things.
- It can feel like they don't matter because we feel all alone, but God wants us to know that we are not alone, Christ is with us.
- And Christ is concerned over our purity, concerned about our lives and our happiness.
- We need to fight the little fights, resist compromise in our lives just because we feel alone or that the small battles don't matter.
- Psalm 139:24-25 gives the answer. We can fool ourselves, but not God. We should be asking God to search us for where we have compromised, test us and lead us to purity.
Things to Watch For
- This sermon tries to be applicable to a variety of situations, from theology to ethics to sexuality, but can easily be tailored to any one direction. Any little thing damages our relationship with God and hurts our purity, not just our sexuality, though that is a part.
- A perfect example of a little thing becoming a huge problem is the challenger disaster, where a faulty "o" ring led to the entire shuttle and crew being lost. the video of this is quite dramatic, but you do see people die so use cautiously
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
There are no other ideas use this topic yet.
This Message is part 3 of A Unified Church message series.