Don't Worry, Be Happy
|Don't Worry, Be Happy|
No matter the circumstances God will get us through.
How to Get There
This is a narrative sermon with basically one point, God cares and our trust in him will get us through. I used the lectionary passages: Matthew 6:24-34; Isaiah 49:8-16a; Psalm 131; Luke 10 (not in the lectionary for that week but part of this sermon anyway.) As a guest speaker, yet part of the congregation, pastor felt it would be good for me to present a light hearted yet hopeful message in line with the lectionary passage.
- The standard phrase we hear is “don't worry, be happy.” There is even a song about it. The Bible says don't worry (Matthew 6), but is happiness the most important goal?
- Our passage from Isaiah 49 and Psalm 131 were written during trying times and the call is not to happiness but hope and trust in God, that God is with them and working.
- Luke 10 calls us not to worry as well, because God cares for us. We are to proclaim the kingdom's coming with our Lord Jesus, part of that proclaiming is with our actions.
- God provides. Matthew assures us of that. Luke reminds us that God often meets needs through others, and through us.
- There is trouble in life, Jesus acknowledges that. And happiness is so fleeting like the world describes it.
- But trust and hope, a joy in the Lord, that sort of happiness lasts. Worry doesn't help, but God does, and God's kingdom does, through other people.
- Happiness should not be the center of our lives. “Don't worry, trust God more.” After all, the kingdom is here.
Things to Watch For
There is nothing specific that needs to be watched for. This is a light hearted message. Interestingly enough when I preached it I had many people come and say that they had been overcome with worry and despair and they were going to take a new look at life based on the biblical texts.
This message needs some personal examples that resonate with your people about God's provision through others, examples of the kingdom of God coming to your world when you needed it. But with examples, it can change someone's life.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
|A hand forged replica of a Roman crucifixion nail||Image|