Let the Waters Flow
From Help for Shepherds
Revision as of 03:37, 7 September 2009 by ShepAdmin (Text replace - '’' to ''')
|Let the Waters Flow|
|Topic:||New Temple, Blessing, Witness|
We are not made holy just for ourselves, but to bless the world around us.
How to Get There
- The Temple was the most important place in the Jewish faith. People went into it and worshipped God. It was where God dwelled.
- But the temple was destroyed. Ezekiel is given a vision of a new temple, but this new temple was never built with bricks.
- Instead, when Jesus casts out the moneychangers he refers to himself as the temple in John 2:21, also the cornerstone of the temple which the people didn't decide to build on.
- Paul says frequently that we become God's temple (1 Corinthians 6:19).
- Ezekiel saw the Church, the people of God, in his vision of the temple. We are that temple, with Christ living in us.
- What Ezekiel saw was water flowing from this temple across impossible land, getting stronger instead of weaker with distance until it finally arrived at the Dead Sea, a place where nothing lived.
- Yet this water brought life to the entire area, and food and trees and everything else.
- To bring life, water must have an outflow or it stagnates like the Dead Sea.
- This new temple is not just for worship, but to flow outwards and bless everything around it. It isn't about being contained within the walls of the temple but about spreading out over the land.
- We are to be a blessing, to bring life to the dead places of the world. That is why we are the temple, to bring God and life to the entire world.
- And with God, nothing can stop this river of life, not high mountains or scorching deserts. But we need to flow outwards to bring life to anything.
Things to Watch For
Geography is important to this message.
- The Dead Sea the water was flowing into was truly dead. Fresh water flowed in, but there is no outflow so it died.
- There were mountains between Jerusalem and the Dead Sea, but the water flows over them anyway and comes to the Sea.
- There was nothing living in the Dead Sea or around it, so this is a massive change here, not a minor one. Some pictures would help.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
There are no other ideas use this topic yet.
This Message is part 6 of Ezekiel, A Hard Headed Prophet message series.