From Help for Shepherds
Having Jesus didn't seem like a blessing, but Mary rejoiced in faith.
How to Get There
- God's blessings sometimes don't really seem like that at first.
- Take Mary, she was an unwed mother in a day and age where she could be stoned for that.
- Her family seem to have kicked her out, as she "left quickly" for Elizabeth's.
- Her fiance wanted to dump her (which was the best case scenario).
- She had no way or earning money other than begging and prostitution.
- She would have been mocked and jeered at her entire life for this.
- An angel appeared and it scared Mary. He was proposing something that could get her killed.
- Even later she was walking for miles nine months pregnant (to Bethleham)
- She gave birth either outside or in a barn, no family around her.
- That doesn't seem like a blessing.
- But Mary's response was a song of praise that all nations would call her blessed.
- And all nations do call Mary blessed.She was blessed. She got to watch Jesus grow, she was the mother of Christ, the mother of God.
- Sometimes we have to rejoice on faith, that God will bring a blessing from our pain.
Things to Watch For
- There is a difference between saying that Mary's blessing was painful and saying that God planned her pain as well. Be careful about that.
- Mary got her blessing because she persevered through. Pain does not equal blessing, but it can mask a blessing.
- We have masked Mary's pain for so many years that it is hard to see sometimes. Telling it like a story an help to bring that back out and us to see the story anew.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
There are no other ideas use this topic yet.