Testudo of Faith
From Help for Shepherds
|Testudo of Faith|
|Topic:||Faith, Unity, Church|
As Christians, we are made to support and take care of each other
How to Get There
- The Roman military was best known for forming shield walls, everyone knew this.
- The shields overlapped and each man's shield protected them and those around them. With a Testudo formation, shields were even raised up and protected the top of the formation.
- A Roman soldier by himself wasn't very effective, only in formation did they succeed.
- When we are weak, others around us are strong, and their faith can shield us, and protect us until we get ours back.
- But we need to be close to each other to have this happen, and practice supporting each other in our walk and faith.
- Together we can survive, thrive even. But a Christian alone is a Christian defeated.
Things to Watch For
- There isn't any real mention of what sort of faith our shield is. It could be our Christian faith, of our sense of belief, our trust, or specific beliefs. For this message I have taken it to mean the entire spiritual journey.
- A knowledge of Roman military tactics and equipment is needed.
- This works best with examples, and demonstrations. The History channel has some ok documentaries, and several games and reinactment groups are around that demonstrate this as well.
- If referring to the entire verse, you must be ready to talk about the darts, what being on fire means, and how faith quenches them.
- "The evil one" is going to bring about a lot of questions, but be careful to stick with the text and not assume you know who this individual is.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
|Body of Christ||How to effectively communicate and appreciate their different Gifts||Experiential Learning|
|An inside shot of the Church of St. John in Israel||Image|
|This is the podium of Salem First Church of the Nazarene in Oregon||Image|
|An inside look at the sanctuary of Salem First Church of the Nazarene, taken in 2008.||Image|
|An old Greek church.||Image|
|A shot of an old church's cross and steeple||Image|
|A Medieval Pipe organ in Prague||Image|
|The main Christian cathedral in Prague||Image|
|The inside of a Prague Cathedral||Image|
|Shield March||We succeed as Christians when we support each other||Experiential Learning|
|The shield of a Roman soldier mentioned in Ephesians 6||Image|
|A stained glass window from the Church of St. John in Israel.||Image|
|Stained glass window in a church||Image|
|Walking on Water||A humorous retelling of Peter trying to walk on water to Jesus.||Dramas|
This Message is part 4 of The Armor of God message series.