From Help for Shepherds
Prayer cannot be something we only do with our eyes closed but a way of life.
How to Get There
- Exegetically, the sword of the Spirit is connected with praying in the Spirit.
- As the sword of the Spirit is God at work, we cannot claim to control it.
- Verses 17 and 18 are connected by the word “spirit,” and by the “word of God” being God speaking to us, prayer being us speaking to God.
- Training with the sword here is then prayer, and we are to pray always and in every way.
- An untrained soldier cannot succeed, and our only offensive weapon is this sword, is prayer. Have you ever tried to take up a new sport? It takes training to get good.
- We are not attacking anything ourselves, we are in conversation with God about what is going on, and as God leads and acts God conquers, not us.
- The more we pray, the more we speak to God, and the better able we are to speak with God right when the time comes. A sword does no good if it isn't used when needed.
- And God will provide what we need, will help us through it, if we use the blade when attacked.
- So we pray constantly, to train constantly, so we're ready and can make it.
Things to Watch For
- Study up on Ephesians 6 for this sermon.
- The “word of God” is not used in the Bible to talk about the Bible, but to talk about God speaking, and especially God speaking through Jesus.
- God definitely speaks through the Bible to us today, but that is not the only way, or the way that this verse appears to be talking about.
- This message takes the interpretation that “word of God” is God speaking with us, through the Holy Spirit, and that prayer is part of that communication.
- Don't miss that the sword is the sword “of the spirit” and “word of God” defines “spirit” and does not exclusively define “sword.”
- ”sword training” has traditionally been associated with Bible memorization, and this assumption might be in your people's minds even though it is unsupported by the text.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
|4X4 Trolley||That a team is many individuals working together||Experiential Learning|
|Cohort Canonball||That they need to be protecting and helping each other in order to stand against the enemy||Experiential Learning|
|Electric Fence||How to work together as a team and problem solving||Experiential Learning|
|Handicap Crossing||What it's like to need and give help||Experiential Learning|
|Ludicrous Lava Lake||Learn the necessity of each other and proper tools in this Life.||Experiential Learning|
|Spiders Web||How to work as a team to overcome obstacles||Experiential Learning|
|Treacherous Tarp Fold||How to work together to solve a simple, but difficult problem||Experiential Learning|
This Message is part 5 of The Armor of God message series.