Renew Your Love
|Renew Your Love|
Our good works need to come from our love for God.
How to Get There
- We are the Church, not the building but us. And it is love of God and each other that makes the Church work.
- But often we sort of lose some of that love and we need to be refurbished.
- The beginning of Revelation contains some love letters from God to specific churches.
- This passage is the letter to the Church in Ephesus. Ephesus was a large city, the center of the temple of Diana, cosmopolitan and a lot wrong with it.
- But this church was standing up to all that was wrong with their city. The did great things, resisted evil, fought the good fight.
- But there was something wrong with it, their love was fading. Their actions were becoming about what they were against, not who they were for, Christ.
- They were fighing the good fight and sacrificed love to do it.
- Serving God is good, but John 14 shows us that loving God is better, and that everything else, including service, needs to come from that love.
- If your love is slipping away, remember what it was like when you first fell in love, repent of where you are now, and recommit to spending time with God finding that love again.
- Because when we have that love, everything else will come together much better and we will do good and experience life like never before.
Things to Watch For
This is both a corporate and an individual message. The letter was written to a church, and yet the church is made up of individuals who each have a choice to make about where their priorities will be.
Be careful about not making it seem that love of God is all there is to salvation. This is not about salvation, but about why we do what we do and whether our works are done from a love of God or just because we think we should do them.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
|Body of Christ||How to effectively communicate and appreciate their different Gifts||Experiential Learning|
|An inside shot of the Church of St. John in Israel||Image|
|This is the podium of Salem First Church of the Nazarene in Oregon||Image|
|An inside look at the sanctuary of Salem First Church of the Nazarene, taken in 2008.||Image|
|An old Greek church.||Image|
|A shot of an old church's cross and steeple||Image|
|A Medieval Pipe organ in Prague||Image|
|The main Christian cathedral in Prague||Image|
|The inside of a Prague Cathedral||Image|
|Shield March||We succeed as Christians when we support each other||Experiential Learning|
|A stained glass window from the Church of St. John in Israel.||Image|
|Stained glass window in a church||Image|
This Message is part 1 of A Unified Church message series.