How Extravagent is the Father's Love for Us
From Help for Shepherds
|How Extravagent is the Father's Love for Us|
We are to be radically different than the world, showing the message of God in us.
How to Get There
- Ezekiel was a respected man with a reputation and was looked up to, a priest no less.
- Yet here God calls Ezekiel to do things that made him a laughing stock, to look insane even.
- This was all to point out sin to people, in particular how people were merging God with lesser gods and combining their worship, confusing the people and leading them astray.
- No one could ignore Ezekiel, everyone saw him. God asked him to sacrifice his pride, and reputation so that people could understand God's message.
- Jesus did the same thing, foolishness of men and yet the glory of God (1 Corinthians 1:23-25). He became the fool for us, and more.
- We therefore, as children of God and followers of Jesus, are to live radically so that people know the ways of God are different than the ways of the world.
- Our ego should not stop us from telling the world with our actions about the holiness of God.
- What makes you different from the world? How are you showing God at work in you, changing you into a message? Or do you blend in?
Things to Watch For
- This is a long passage and a paraphrase of the strange things Ezekiel is told to do can help to make this more personal and understandable instead of just reading it straight from the Bible.
- Some time might be needed to talk about how this was and is still God's word not matter how strange it seems.
- It could be very easy to have this message devolve in people's eyes to be about how weird God is and how far from the "real world" God's directions are. Avoid this by concentrating less on how different the orders are from our lives and more on what they were meant to communicate.
- There are some very practical directions you can take this message. It can be focused to being forgiving, to not seeking money, to serving those in need, witnessing strongly, or any number of other ways. Make sure to direct it somewhere with suggestions of it will be so vague people will think they already did it.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
|How Not to Hook Someone Up||A man tries to get a stranger to marry a women, using the worst methods possible, but all ways that we use to try and get people to build a relationship with God.||Dramas|
|Puppets:Fishers of Men||A puppet learns that fishing for men is about living so that people can see us.||Dramas|
This Message is part 3 of Ezekiel, A Hard Headed Prophet message series.