Five Words of Jesus
From Help for Shepherds
|Five Words of Jesus|
Worship is using what we have in acts of love for God.
How to Get There
- The end was coming for Jesus and he knew it. People were plotting and everyone must have known something was coming.
- This was a crisis moment for the woman as well. Her expression of love and their criticism of her all came together with Christ's words.
- She couldn't stop the plots against Jesus. She couldn't stop the rumors and the accusations.
- She probably did not have many resources. But she did have this one and so she gave it.
- When normal expressions of love don't cover it, we need something more to express what we're feeling.
- Don't focus on what you don't have, but on what we can do. No matter what we have, our devotion to Chrisdt is not wasted or unwanted.
- By the end of it, the woman smelled like Jesus did, and so did the entire house. What does our house and lives smell like?
- She did what she could, worshipped Jesus as she felt led and able to do. And she has been remembered for two thousand years.
- How will we worship?
Things to Watch For
- The perfume used here would have been worth a years wages.
- There is a lot of discussion about this passage. There is a parallel account of this story in Matthew 26. Neither of them mention it being Mary Magdalene or Mary the sister of Lazarus. A similar story is told in John 12 but is at a different house, same city. There it is Mary who annoints Jesus, but it is poured on his feet not his head and it is a more extensive account. Make sure to decide where you stand on the issues involved in who this woman was before preaching.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
There are no other ideas use this topic yet.
This Message is part 5 of The Final Week of Jesus' Life: 168 message series.