Big Actions, Little Actions
From Help for Shepherds
|Big Actions, Little Actions|
We can't do everything, but we can do enough with God's guidance.
How to Get There
- Naomi had lost everything, her sons and husband, and had to leave her adopted country.
- She tried to get rid of everyone she had left, even Ruth.
- And even though the Bible doesn't say it by name, Naomi was deeply depressed, to the point where she told her old friends not even to use her realy name, but to call her "bitter". She complained about God and life.
- They had no way of feeding themselves, and Naomi didn't even go out and try, she just stayed at home.
- But this all changed when Boaz just let Ruth gather some leftover grain.
- Then Naomi praised God, her life changed around, she broke out of her depression (Ruth 2:20).
- Boaz didn't know what effect his actions would have. It was just a simple action that he felt he should do.
- We don't know what affect our actions will have, we just need to do what we can and trust that God will do the rest.
- With God, we can do enough.
Things to Watch For
- Depression is a key issue in life today, and we need to show that it happened in the Bible as well.
- It is evident that Naomi still ahd issues to deal with after this, but she got hope back from this one action of Boaz.
- There is also a sense that if we cannot do something huge, we shouldn't do anything at all because it won't have any affect. That needs to be countered. With God, it's enough.
- Be careful around the sexual issues that crop up immediately after this section as it can get very complex and tricky with younger audiences.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
There are no other ideas use this topic yet.
This Message is part 1 of Saving Ruth message series.