A Lifestyle of Generosity
|A Lifestyle of Generosity|
We are to live generously, giving to God's plan so that we and others can know God's love.
How to Get There
- This happened basically the next day after Jesus threw everyone out of the temple. You can imagine the bad blood and the tension that must have existed with Jesus once again sitting on the steps of the temple.
- People were tossing money in by the thousands of dollars, and this woman gave what is basically a single loaf of bread's worth.
- She should have gone unnoticed. But Jesus saw it, and thought it was important enough that he wanted others to see it too. This woman had given what she needed to survive. What can we learn from that?
- God sees us in what we do and how we live. And God is pleased when we live a lifestyle of generosity out of our love for Him.
- Faith-filled generosity matters, when we give without knowing exactly how God will fill in the gap.
- There are three types of giving
- Spontaneous, like for disasters or needs we hear about.
- Strategic, planned gifts like those the magi brought for Jesus
- Sacrifical, like the one in the story.
- The lady could have been embarressed, or felt that she couldn't make any difference with what she had, but she didn't.
- We should get hung up o the dollar sign.
- Figure out what we have to give, in all areas of our lives. What money, time, talents, items, space, etc. Then give it.
- God gave his all for a cause, us. He gave his time, energy, career, family, money, and life.
- We are to emulate Christ, and give to bring about God's dreams of what can be done, giving because of Christ.
- We are to give our lives for God's cause, like Christ gave his life for us, his cause. Every part of our lives, sacrificing like this woman did, no matter the relative size we have to offer. God sees, and can use it to further His goals.
Things to Watch For
This is not a message about just giving money, but about participating in God's plan and God's purposes with everything that we have. It's a lifestyle, a mindset that affects our money yes, but everything else as well.
Other Ideas that use this Topic:
|Gifts for Jesus||Christ is the center of Christmas, and the reason we give.||Experiential Learning|
|Hole-ee-ness||An offering box is passed and almost everything gets put inside, including a person. One character learns that tithing is the beginning of giving to God, not the end.||Dramas|
This Message is part 4 of The Final Week of Jesus' Life: 168 message series.